Hanji Crew

Hanji Crew
About the Crew

Friday, September 10, 2010

Frame it Up

I picked up some cheap, unfinished wood picture frames at Ikea last week, figuring this might be a good project for (what else?) hanji paper. I was right.

I wanted to use a new sheet of hanji paper, one with variegated colors. The paper is pretty thin, so I first added a solid-color paper layer just to cover the frame so the wood grain of the frame wouldn't show through the colorful paper. The traditional paste is just flour and water.











You can see the fibers of the paper in this first layer of paper.











Once the first layer was done, I added paste to the colorful paper and wrapped that around the frame, covering both the front and the back.














To dress it up, I cut a Korean word (joy) to add to one corner.














Not bad for a $1 frame!

1 comment:

  1. It's so pretty! Also, do you remember that one time when my mom and I were over, and we made picture frames? I was at IKEA a few weeks ago, and it reminded me of that time. Actually, I have mine sitting in my room in the apartment right now.

    ReplyDelete