Hanji Crew

Hanji Crew
About the Crew

Monday, January 3, 2011

Boxes from Korean forms

In Seoul, the hanji stores in Insadong are stacked high with cardboard forms that you shape into boxes -- every size and shape imaginable, along with trays, drawers, small tables, lanterns and more. I haven't built any of these lately, so I spent a little time over the holidays to create some boxes.

I use these sparingly, as it's not easy to replenish my supply. The forms start out flat, so if I can talk someone into bringing some back from Korea for me, at least they are easy to carry!




The forms are scored, so it's easy to bend them into the necessary shape, then glue. Once I got the box shaped and glued, I added hanji paper inside.









Argh! Sleepy cat on the paper I need!





When I finished the inside (and let the box dry), I cut the paper for the outside. The paste is a traditional flour-water mixture.



The box bottom is done and dry; on to the top of the box. The edges are rough; I'll cover those with long, thin strips of hanji paper at the end of the process.









The top and bottom are papered inside and out, and the trim added (in this case, a dark brown paper cut in 1/4-inch wide strips). The final step is the most fun: adding the cut designs. This one is all turtles, the top one sporting a good fortune symbol, perfect for a new year gift.





I made these four boxes this weekend. Gotta love it.
Back to work tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted!

Happy New Year!








1 comment:

  1. Great boxes! These are truly beautiful! Hope you are able to find more... have you tried G-market? I ordered some cord on there once...using google translate I managed.
    Look forward to seeing more... :)
    Veronique

    ReplyDelete