Hanji Crew

Hanji Crew
About the Crew

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Adding color to a cut design

Adding color layers to a cut design takes a little practice and a steady hand, but it's so worth it!

After I cut the design, I used the same pattern to cut colored pieces to add to the design, like a stained glass window.



I started with the yellow center -- the color that will be at the front of the design. The outline design is face down, color added to the back of the design. I use just a drop of flour-water hanji paste to attach it -- carefully.





The next layer is red, layered from the back over the yellow piece of mulberry paper.






Then I added the background color on top of the red layer. I added a small amout of hanji paste to tack down the colored paper layer.




Turn it over and you've got a colorful design! I added a layer of hanji paste to the box and attached the design, then pasted over the front of the design to anchor it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment